1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogging - how often to you post new content?

Discussion in 'General Website Management' started by Flux, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Flux

Flux New Member

If you run a blog, how often to you post new articles? One a day? Maybe more?

2. seotut

seotut New Member

It depends on the blog, how much I enjoy the subject etc. At the moment I post once per week. That's not great in terms of ranking, but since the competition is pretty much frozen, it does the job.

3. Jessi

Jessi New Member

It varies on my blogs, too.

For one, I try to make sure I have content up Monday through Friday, with Wednesday's post being very light on content (like a Wordless Wednesday post). I think it's important to be consistent, so whether I post once a week or 5 times a week, I like to stay regular with it.

4. Nerdie

Nerdie Administrator

I agree to Jessi here. It does not matter that much on how often you post as long as you have a consistency and obviously the time gap is not too much. I prefer to post as much as i can on new blogs but to the least once in a week.

5. mrdeposit

mrdeposit New Member

It really depends on the project and time I have available. I have had blogs where I published once a week or 2 weeks while other blogs I tried to maintain publishing 2 articles per day. Either way, I just made sure the information is what my visitors wanted.

6. Gray

Gray New Member

I currently run a blog, which I opened a few days ago. I'm currently going by a set rule that I would only post content every two or three days; This is to give me enough time to think of other possible blog posts, and actually write them. Haha. ;)

7. dungeonmaster

dungeonmaster New Member

It really depends on the blog. I have a few that need to be updated at least once a day, I have others that get updated once a week and are doing ok, they have huge archives. I'd generally prefer to update them max three times a week, but if I want to make some money that's not an option.

8. Jessi

Jessi New Member

Do you prefer a maximum of 3 times a week because you don't like creating the content? Do you get bored if you do it more than that? Or is it just too time consuming and whatnot?

9. jameskellin

jameskellin New Member

I try to post every week as most of the time of the week, I'm really busy with work and such but usually when I get the time and I think of it, then I post a post. Other than that, during the times I don't post anything, I think about what to blog about.

10. kenzo

kenzo New Member

I agree with what many have stated here. If you run a blog, figure out beforehand how often you want to post content.

If you do it once a day or so, make sure you can keep up with the pace. If, like me, you do one post a week, or rather 4 or 5 a month, be consistent with that too.

In my experience the most traffic to a post comes on day 1 and 2, then slightly less at day 3, after that even less until the "extra push" in traffic that fresh content gives diminishes totally.

11. Jessi

Jessi New Member

Do you notice a big drop in your traffic when you don't end up posting then?

And Kenzo, I have seen roughly the same results when I have my posts spaced like that. The exception is weekends. I can post every single day of the week or just on the 5 workdays, and I notice the same drop on weekends regardless.

12. mrdeposit

mrdeposit New Member

That means you not doing enough SEO. I have had blogs 2 or 3 years old and the highest traffic blog post was one I made in the early days. Whenever you decide to make a blog post. Make sure its SEO and know which keywords will drive traffic to your blog for years to come.

13. dungeonmaster

dungeonmaster New Member

It's too time consuming.
    I run multiple blogs, this is one way I found of staying competitive with bigger sites, who have dozens of hired staff on hand. What this means is, I constantly need to come up with original content for a multitude of blogs. After a while this starts to get very tiresome and taxing. The goal would be to create enough content and gather a large enough following, to make the sitets a sustainable income source, even with a smaller time investment.

14. Super Bowser Bros.

Super Bowser Bros. New Member

I don't own a blog, but when I think about it blogging should not be as scheduled.

It should surely be updated at least once a week and when you blog it should be from experiences you are having. If you have a story or even a guide. If you blog just because you need to you'll often find yourself not knowing what to say. But of course you can still blog about things off the internet. It really depends on your style.

15. kenzo

kenzo New Member

What it actually means is that social signals mean more and more to the search engines, namely Google. My pages are very well optimized (as far as on page SEO goes), and I have built a fair number of links as well.

New kind of SEO is more about "domain strength" that "page level strength".

16. Rikarudo

Rikarudo New Member

My blogs are updated on a daily basis and I usually try adding at least one new and fresh article per day.

17. diplox

diplox New Member

Typically I try to post 2-3 new articles daily. From an SEO perspective posting too much too fast could get you penalized in Google, possibly even sandboxed. Posting too little and there won't be enough content for the big G to find. I think it'll also depend on what niche you're in, if it's relatively low competition, you can get away with posting less often and with posting lower quality content. Conversely for a higher competition niche, you'll have to post way more content to keep up.

18. mrdeposit

mrdeposit New Member

In that case try linking to older articles in the new articles and don't be shy about tweeting old blog posts. Remember you gain more and more followers. Not all of your followers seen your old stuff.

19. Jack

Jack New Member

Yes you can update an article a day, although so long as you make at least 3-7 posts a week, your readers will be happy. Also cross promote by linking articles to other articles and so forth.

Jack

20. Tara

Tara New Member

I have a WordPress blog. I set aside on day to write enough content for a month. My blog is set to post content twice a week.

Draft saved Draft deleted